Monday, May 3, 2010

Family

My family is one of my favorite things. We don't always get to see each other anymore, and we are scattered from New Mexico, to Abilene, to Nebraska, to Arkansas, to Longview, to Nacogdoches, to Tatum, and to Flower Mound. But no matter the distance, we are still family. Now just because we are family doesn't mean everyday is a bed of roses, but even through the thorns, they are still the most important people in my life.
Now that my cousins all have children and we get to see them playing together, it makes me smile to think about all of the games and activities we played when we were little: making a club house in the horse pen, making salads for the horses, mud pies, tents out of blankets and chairs, ghost baseball, fishing, running, rolling down the hill, slip and slides, & all our different sporting events. I remember watching Charlotte's Web, Mary Poppins, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Robin Hood and all the other Disney cartoons and musicals like Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and the Music Man. Now that we are older...we still watch all the Disney movies and musicals with a few extras like Tommy Boy and Tombstone.
I remember when our Grandpa would let us help him in his garden. We each had our own job: Grandpa would point where he wanted the seed to go, one of us would dig a hole, the next would drop in the seed, and the last one would cover it up. We would race through the corn rows, the long leaves slapping us in the face until we could get to the other side. The dirt of the garden burning your feet, almost like running on sun soaked pavement.
I remember when we would all load up and go down to Lilly Mae's for an ice cream cone. 2 scoops of cookies and cream was what we always got. and we would have to race to eat it before the East Texas heat got it.
But one of the things that sticks out in my mind even more so is my grandparents studying their bible together. Everyday, sitting in their own recliner, with bible and Power book in hand, they would take turns reading and answering the questions together. When I was 4 I never realized the impact that would have on my family today.
And when I really took notice of my family's faith was 2 years ago when I was in South Africa with the Flynn's. Dorian was talking to some of the elders of a church there and told them that I was a 5/6 generation Christian. The elders were highly impressed, nodding and smiling. I didn't understand the magnitude of that simple fact until 'D' and I sat down to talk. He explained that many of the families here are 1st generation Christians, that their families did not have Christian grandparents that passed on the importance of church and religion. He explained that in the overall picture of Christian families, our family's lineage of faith was unique. Wow!
So, when I think about my family as a whole, we aren't just nieces/nephews, cousins, aunts/uncles, parents, spouses, brothers/sisters...we are more than that, we are brothers and sisters in Christ, we are more than just blood related, we are apart of a much higher family. We are the recipients of a great inheritance.
I know that families are not perfect and heaven knows the Farrell's are far from perfect, but we as a family are pressing on towards the same goal...Heaven. And because of our family's faithful past, we will get to spend eternity together in Heaven.
This past Sunday, a good portion of our family was able to worship together in Longview. I cried as I thought about how blessed we were to have such a special bond. Hearing Amanda's beautiful voice singing, passing little Wade down the line so I could hold him, bowing our head together in prayer, watching my aunt sign the worship service, and sharing the Lord's supper together. What an amazing gift.
The blessing is this: your family are the people that are supposed to love you and take care of you no matter what life throws in your path, but how amazing is it to be able to go to your family with praise and problems, knowing that they will be praying for you and doing their best to give you Godly advice.
I just pray that our family will remember that amazing bond that we share, the bond that runs deeper than DNA.
Family, I love you and thank God for you everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment