Saturday, May 15, 2010

Disney Cartoons...Really!

Whoever said that Disney movies were just for kids was mistaken. Those animated cartoons have to be some of the best movies ever. The twins and I used to watch "Dumbo" and "Pinocchio" when we were little before nap time. "Aladdin" was the first VHS that was bought for me. I have almost all of the cartoons memorized. One of the preachers that always goes with us to South Africa quotes "The Lion King" when we are in the game parks. He cracks me up! Michelle and I used to rewind a part in "Aladdin" 5 million times and just laugh and laugh...no matter how many times we watched it. Now that the Princess and the Frog has come out...I now found myself singing Mama Odie's, "You Gotta Dig a Little Deeper". I guess this blog could go under the things that make me smile. Almost every Disney movie has a childhood memory attatched to it...makes me smile.
When I was in college...I even did a "Disney Devotional" for a women's bible study. I pulled scenes from Disney cartoons and made biblical lessons from them. I still have that lesson written down somewhere...I need to find that! It was pretty cool...even if I do say so myself.
But what brought all this is on is, earlier tonight I was watching a real movie. Now when I added this particular movie to my queue on Netflix, I thought it was going to be a romantic comedy...umm not so much...it got creepy. SO...to feel not so oogy anymore, I have put on "Princess and the Frog"... it makes me smile!
And isn't that what life should be about...true happiness. I am here to say proudly...I am 28 year old professional and I love watching Disney Cartoons. I know many of you are saying, "Really? You are a grown woman watching Disney animated cartoons. Really?" I am not ashamed. I would rather watch Disney cartoons than some of the trash movies that are produced today. Like that super creepy one I watched tonight. All the violence, the over sexuality, the super vulgar language...can't handle all that. And now that I am a teacher, I can't believe my students are watching some of that mess. Hurts my heart! The cartoons are sweet, simple, and have good lessons to be learned, and don't take a whole lot of thinking to follow the story (sometimes my brain is fried from working...needs a break). Sometimes after a hard week, a good cartoon helps me to think of my family and friends and reminds me of where I came from. They make me feel like everything is going to be OK.
Thank you Disney for making me smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment