Monday, July 26, 2010

Double Rainbow

In light of the fact that my posts have been a bit on the serious side lately...I am going to tell you a little story. I am sure you have heard of the "Double Rainbow" video that has been posted on youtube, but by some chance you haven't seen it...Let me just tell you. I was watching Good Morning America, like any true blooded American, and they always show a popular video that is being spread across the nation via youtube or emails. Most of them are dancing or singing kids or crazy animals.
But this particular morning they were featuring a video made by a man in one of our many national parks. He filmed a "Double Rainbow". Yes two rainbows all the way across the sky. He is in complete and total awe of the scene. He yells and screams and even breaks down into tears. Everyone was so convinced that he was stoned or on something.
I at first was taken a back from his excitement, but at the same time...I remember at time that I too was so emotional moved by a kind act. I have always made fun of people who cried when they heard good news. Never really got it. But in the summer of 2008, I was in South Africa on a mission trip. But during my mission trips there, I have fallen in love with their national rugby team, the Springboks. And I follow them online and watch every game I can while I am there on TV and read the papers as well. One day at lunch Dorian said he had a surprise for us. He had gotten us Springbok tickets. They were playing there in Cape Town. I started crying...Really?...crying? over a professional sporting event? But it wasn't just the fact that I would see my favorite team, but that Uncle D had gone and gotten them!
So to get back to my point. I was sad that everyone was making fun of this guy being so excited about seeing the two rainbows. I was in awe of his true delight in God's amazing creations. It may have been to an extreme, but I think that people should really slow down and look at the beauty that surrounds us. He may have gone crazy, but I still think it is pretty neat.
Now on top of that video post, a group of young people have dubbed the guys voice into a catchy, pop song using only the words he uses in the video as the lyrics. I have a friend, Ruby, who is head over heels for this song. I think it is a little weird that people would take the time to make it into a song. But the part that kills me, makes me bend over in laughter, hide my face in embarrassment is my friend Ruby jamming out to this 3 minute pop song. She loves it and it might make me uncomfortable with her choreography and singing; I love the fact that she loves it! True delight.
What gives you true delight? Take time to stop and think about the things that move you, the things that give you true joy. Whether it is Springbok tickets, a child's laugh, or a Double Rainbow. Find your true happiness and share it with others.
(In a tribute to Ruby...I have posted the song...enjoy. And I have also posted a highlight clip of my first Rugby game I watched on TV in Swaziland...Springboks vs England)

No comments:

Post a Comment